Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Beginning of the End


Tell me something you've never told anyone.

Tell me a secret, a private moment, something embarrassing to hear said out loud.  I want to hear something inconsequential.  I want to know what only you know.  I want to know together.

---

I love to type.  That's not a secret.  I like how you can get lost in the muscle memory.  I love how you trust your skill and create as quickly as you can think.  I love the challenge.  When I first learned to type --- and every time I would find myself around an idle keyboard, one that wouldn't record anything if pressed into --- I would type a ghost sentence:



These are the memories that best define a person; these are the facts worth telling, worth sharing, and worth hearing.

Tell me.  Share with me.  Let me hear.

---

For awhile, the sentence stopped there.  I knew that I would finish it when it was ready.  Maybe I would get to a place where I would say different things each time.  Little secrets of hope to myself and the angels who watch what I do.




It wasn't long, however, before I found the sentence complete.  It was a surprise to me, like discovering what your own likes and dislikes are.  Like playing The Sims and picking a person's life ambition.  Someone with control of my actions, monitoring my needs, watching me type ghost words, decided it for me.

Just for instance.


Here, I finish that sentence.



No comments:

Post a Comment